Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Constructivism

In his "Learning as a Constructive Activity" von Glasserfeld discribes the concept of constructivism. I believe he uses the term construct because we gain knowledge so experience so it is constantly building upon what we already know, and it grows and grows and adds upon itself as we try to come to know truths. As we experience different situations, we adjust what we "know" to fit what we come to learn during these experiences. Certain conditions of course are required. We must be actively participating and working to come to solutions on our own. It is true however that we can never be sure as to whether what we know if absolutely correct because everything is relative and there is no way to know the absolute truth of anything. All we can do is try to come up with the best ideas we can from different problems we encounter.

In my classroom I want to begin lectures by presenting problems that I haven't yet taught them how to do. I want to give them an oportunity to try to figure it out own their own first or at least gain a greater concept of what the problem is asking for and what kind of information they would need to complete it. I hope that this will help my students construct their knowledge in such a way that in the future they will not always need a teacher to tell them how to do everything, but rather they can solve problems on their own.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a really good idea because, like you said, students will be able to try to figure them out on their own. My only hesitation is that students might get frustrated. When a teacher has tried to make my classmates and I discover how to do a problem before he/she teaches it, I often get frustrated because I am so accustomed to be taught a concept first and really learn it later. Once you started though, I think students would be more inclined to learn and discover on their own, so they wouldn't be so dependent on a teacher. You presented your points well and very clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are always constructing knowledge. We always are seeing things and having experiences, which we in turn interpret according to our past experiences. Constructing knowledge is not something you have to try to do; it's something you can't help but do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your implication was described with clarity and I am pretty sure I understood what you meant by the implication. Although you did provide some connection between the implication and constructivism, I found it hard to see that connection very clearly through what you wrote. I do agree there is some connection between constructivism and having students do their own thinking, I wouldn't include it among the most significant. Overall, I thought you ideas and the flow of your writing were great.

    ReplyDelete